A Clear Business Advantage
The Association of Patent Law Firms (APLF) is an international association of independent specialty law firms that devote a majority of their practice to patent law, trademark law and copyright law. Our member firms provide expert patent litigation support, portfolio strategy advice and protection against copyright and trademark theft. Membership is by firm, not by individual attorney.
Details of membership and how to join the Association of Patent Law Firms are available on our JOIN us page.
The APLF Brand Of Excellence will stand for law firms that care about being well run organizations committed to continuing improvement in order to serve their clients better and their own professional satisfaction.
The APLF helps member firms and individual attorneys within these firms:
- Ensure excellence in intellectual property law practice;
- Improve their business management abilities at all levels;
- Improve their abilities to serve the needs of their respective clients;
- Underscore the advantages of their technical and legal capabilities to law school faculty and students worldwide to enhance recruiting initiatives, and
- Underscore the advantages of their technical and legal capabilities to businesses and industries worldwide.
Access to the APLF External Network
APLF facilitates access to an international network of in-house IP and patent counsel, business owners and member attorneys.
- Web-based and Teleconference Presentations: Members individually host programs that regularly attract over 150 in-house counsel and business owners.
- Live Events, Symposia & Industry Focused Programs: Members develop programming on subjects of high interest to in-house counsel, patent, trademark, copyright and licensing portfolio managers.
- APLF Website: An interactive and searchable platform with links to member firms.
- Law School Visibility Program: An initiative to increase APLF member firms’ profiles at prestigious law schools and promote the advantages of practicing law in a specialized IP firm.
Access to the APLF Shared Knowledge
APLF provides a place for IP law firms to cooperate in addressing issues that specifically relate to the practice and business of IP law.
- Referrals: Member firms regularly refer matters to other members.
- Legal Excellence in Intellectual Property Law Practice:
- Programs to enhance our members’ legal skills and industry knowledge
- Exchange information about patent, trademark, copyright law and related topics with experts drawn from a global faculty
- Identify and report on trends and developments in business that affect intellectual property practice and management.
- Business Management Skills and Resources:
- Information and knowledge sharing about best practices and resources to improve operations and efficiency, management, technology, diversity, training, professional development, recruitment, retention and performance management
- Programs on law firm management by experts on the business of law and issues unique to IP practices, exclusive programs for firm leaders.
- Business Development and Client Relationship Management:
- Information and knowledge sharing about best practices and resources to improve business development, client service and client retention
- Programs for firm management and attorneys to learn how to market more effectively.
- CLE: Our educational programs are CLE eligible, whether live or electronic.
- Annual Meeting: An opportunity for networking and education where presentations are specifically focused on issues of interest to IP law practices.
There is an important business reason why your firm should join the APLF. The APLF is developing a brand of excellence as a prestigious affiliation for members and a recognized credential in the business community of specialized patent/IP law firms that provide strategic advantages to clients through technical and legal expertise, client service and efficient law practice management.
The APLF Brand Of Excellence:
- Fills a need of all members equally;
- Provides a unique benefit to members;
- Articulates shared values among the members as a community of firms;
- Recognizes that not all IP law firms that are taking advantage of APLF member programs;
- Creates potential opportunities for APLF to leverage the value its name and reputation for the benefit of members as in joint programming with other organizations etc.
The brand will stand for law firms that care about being well run organizations committed to continuing improvement in order to serve their clients better and their own professional satisfaction.
APLF’s brand will also extend services to specific needs and personnel in the member firms. It will help its members address business and management issues that are specifically relevant to patent/IP firms, including:
- Law practice management and leadership programs for managing partners;
- Business and operations for administrative partners/CFOs/executive directors;
- Technology developments for IT partners/directors;
- Professional development programs with training programs for associates and/or train the trainer programs for professional development/ mentoring program partners/directors;
- Marketing and sales practices and issues for marketing partners/directors; and
- Recruiting, retention and diversity for recruiting partners/HR directors/diversity managers. Member firms would be required to attend a certain number of programs each year.